- Lawn Watering Ban Fact Sheet
- Stage Three Drought Water Use Regulations - Printable Summary
- Reglamentos en Espanol
- Drought Quick Facts
- Stage Three Drought Water Use Regulations - Full Resolution
- Report Water Waste and Violations
- Regulation FAQs
- Approved Low Water Use Grasses
Outdoor Water Use Regulations
- Hoses must be equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Irrigation with potable water is only allowed between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. If manually operated, such irrigation is allowed only between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Effective January 1, 2017 irrigation of lawns is prohibited. Exceptions include: non-potable water, school recreation fields, parks and public open spaces, and putting greens/tees at golf courses. Prior authorization needed for watering of approved low water use grasses as well as lawn areas directly related to business activity, subject to compliance with targeted reduction in water use.
- Irrigation with potable water that causes runoff onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots, or parking structures is prohibited. Any excessive, unnecessary or unwarranted use of water is prohibited. All leaks must be repaired as soon as reasonably possible.
- Irrigation during and within 48 hours after measurable rainfall is prohibited.
- Washing of pavement and other hard surfaces is generally prohibited. Exceptions: to correct an immediate threat to health and safety or in preparation of painting or sealing, provided it is accomplished by use of a pressure washer, mop, bucket, or brush. For more information on pressure washing refer to the resolution.
- Vehicles and boats washed by hose must have a shut-off nozzle or washed at commercial facilities that recycle the water.
- Recirculating fountains with a water surface area greater than 25 ft2 are prohibited unless located indoors, on residential property, or are home to aquatic life.
- Pools and spas must be equipped with a cover when not in use. Pool cover rebates available. No draining or refilling of pools by more than one third, unless authorized. More information about draining pools is available here.
Commercial Water Use Regulations
- Drought notices are required in restaurants and other eating and drinking establishments; water served on request only.
- Hotels and motels must post a drought notice in each guest room and provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily.
- Gyms, pools and other businesses providing showers must post drought notices and promote limitation of shower use.
Santa Barbara Municipal Code Prohibits Waste of Water at All Times:
Waste: "Waste" means any excessive, unnecessary or unwarranted use of water, including but not limited to any use which causes unnecessary runoff beyond the boundaries of any property as served by its meter and any failure to repair as soon as reasonably possible any leak or rupture in any water pipes, faucets, valves, plumbing fixtures or other water service appliances.
Prohibition Against Waste of Water. It shall be a violation of this Chapter for any consumer or account holder to waste any water obtained from or through the distribution facilities of the City.
Wasting Water - Repairs - Required. Each and every consumer shall maintain in good order all his water pipes, faucets, valves, plumbing fixtures or any other appliances, at all times, to prevent waste of water.
A. Any failure to comply with a provision of this Chapter shall constitute a violation of this Code, regardless of whether the failure to comply is caused by an account holder, a consumer or any other person or entity.
B. Where the failure to comply with this Chapter is continuing and reasonably preventable by the person or entity failing to comply, each successive hour of such failure to comply shall be a separate and distinct violation.
1st Violation: Door hanger and Warning letter
2nd Violation: $250 fine per violation
3rd Violation: $250 fine per violation and possible flow restrictor
4th and Subsequent Violation: $250 fine per violation, possible flow restrictor or shut off water service.